Re: How to proceed with EMBOSS packaging (Was: About having EMBOSS 6.4.0 in Wheezy or not.)

Le Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 04:07:24PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> as you probably have noticed when watching commit logs I started working
> on EMBOSS packaging.  I was a bit unsure about some changes (perhaps
> refreshing all quilt patches might have been questionably - feel free to
> revert)

Hi Andreas,

thank you for the help.

For the quilt patches, please revert the switch to format 3.0 (quilt), as the
upstream patches are not always compatible with this format (but they are
compatible with quilt).  I would really prefer keep the original upstream patch
instead of reformatting, as it is easier to make sure that we are using the
latest one.

>             I also do have some additional question how to handle some
> lintian issues:
>
>   1. E: emboss-lib: embedded-library usr/lib/emboss/lib/libepcre.so.7.0.9: pcre3

This is a slightly modified copy of the PCRE library.  We can not use the one
from Debian.  I prefer to keep the lintian tag visible so that the issue stays
in our radar.

>      Any comment on this?
>
>   2. W: jemboss: codeless-jar usr/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/resources/acdstore.jar
>        as well as
>      W: jemboss: classpath-contains-relative-path usr/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/lib/jemboss.jar: lib/jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar, lib/jalviewApplet.jar
>
>      This looks suspicious - perhaps I need to contact our Java experts
>      about this.

I can not help for this.  But if that warning was already present before, and
if JEmboss works apparently well, I would recommend to ignore it.

>   3. W: emboss: menu-command-not-in-package usr/share/menu/emboss:8 usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>
>      Are you *really* sure that it is necessary to call x-terminal-emulator?
>      My guess is that the reason for this is the way you want the screen
>      to remain via
>        "...;echo press any key to continue"
>      If this assumption is right we probably should add an override because
>      the lintian output is that bloated to possibly oversee some relevant
>      things.
>
>      On the other hand: Do users really call these tools via menu?
>      Wouldn't it be better to drop the menu support at all and rather
>      teach users using command line?

Let's remove these menu entries for command-line programs.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,