Re: BioJava 3.0.4 released - any volunteer to upgrade our totally outdated package?

Hello,

On 05/22/2012 01:15 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:41:45AM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> I think that biojava3 is not compatible, and should be a different
>> Debian release (biojava3 package).
> Well, fine for me if we will manage to maintain two packages (currently
> we have the situation of one unmaintained package :-().
>
>> So there would be 2 tasks:
>>
>> 1) upgrade to 1.8 (current Debian is 1.7.1)
It is not as straight forward as one would hope for. But I agree, it
gets a bit embarrassing. The bit of contact I have with upstream is very
Debian/Ubuntu-friendly (last contact was funnily at the GSoC Mentors
summit), and I could even imagine that we get them as a Maintainer for
the more trivial updates. Just, 1.8 is not so straight forward, just
like Olivier anticipated.
>> 2) Create new package biojava3
> Sounds reasonable in principle at least.
Would be great to have, indeed.

I agree with Andreas that we should not put ourselves under pressure
with the release. Rather, we should slowly start adopting backports
more. It is something we could generally start thinking about - what do
releases mean to us?

All the best

Steffen