Re: Adun GUI vs. text-only

Hi,

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 04:27:54PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adun.app is currently part of the Debichem molecular-dynamics task.
> However, it seems to be a GNUStep application which requires a graphical
> user interface, contrary to all the other compute-intense applications
> we ship in Debichem.
>
> I cannot quite figure out the Adun homepage, but it is seems it
> generally consists of a text-only Core (which does the heavy-lifting),
> and a GNUStep GUI, is this correct?

The only thing I can say about Adun is that I took it over a long time
ago from its former maintainer into Debian Med team maintenance and
thanks to the (sometimes heavy) help of a GNUStep expert (namely Yavor
Doganov) I can keep the package in some reasonable shape (package builds
and is - or was at build time - more or less lintian clean).  I can not
answer any more detailed questions about it.

> If so, might it be possible to split up the package accordingly?

This would sound perfectly reasonable to me and I would welcome if
somebody else would spend his time onto this task ...

> The
> other possibilty would be to just move it to the molecular modelling
> task - the applications there are all GUI ones, though Adun seems a bit
> more capable in terms of molecular dynamics, so wouldn't fit too well
> there I guess.

I do not really feel competent to answer this specific question but in
case there is no volunteer to work on the split of the non-GUI part your
suggestion sounds reasonable.