Re: looking to get involved,

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 05:22:24PM -0700, Chris Wrobel wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am a student working towards my informatics degree and would like
> to get involved in this project. My strength is the "informatics"
> part and I'm learning more and more about the "bio" side of the
> field.

Cool - we could need every helping hand.  I'm a physicist myself so my
biological or medical knowledge tends to zero but I think I did my share
for the profit of the project.  For the basic work you finally need
informatics knowledge way more than any specifics of the software itself
- in case we might run into an exception of this rule there are enough
people around who will be happy to help you.

> I would be happy working on packaging software projects for use with
> debian-med but a little guidance from people here as to the first
> steps with this project would be much appreciated.

You did not wrote about your Debian packaging skills but perhaps ite
might be interesting to you to become a MoM student:

   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM

In April I had no MoM student because Soon Gweon seemed to be occupied
by other things.  If you would like to get detailed advise for one month
we should pick a proper package which fits you best and than we can go
on.  It might help if you specify in more detail what programming
languages and build systems you are comfortable with.

Kind regards and thanks again for your interest