Re: netcdf uploaded (Re: Package available (was Re: Micro Manager))

Mathieu,

On Apr 11, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> Josh,
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Josh Moore <josh@glencoesoftware.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 10, 2012, at 12:13 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

>>> ref:
>>> http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/netcdf-java_4.3.8-BETA-1.html
>>>
>>> Assuming everyting goes smoothly, I can now move on to bio-formats itself.
>>
>> Hi Mathieu,
>>
>> Looking at Mark's repo (mhl/libbio-formats-java) and the patches under http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/bio-formats/trunk/debian/patches/, much of what was necessary was to remove the jars and configure the build for using /usr/share, a source drop, etc. Would it help if we modified the build so there's a global switch (e.g. ant -Ddebian=true) to allow these commits to live in the mainline?

> I am not too keen on the whole "-Ddebian=true". Even if I only use
> debian distribution, there are other distros out there. Also this puts
> the burden of maintaining debian related material outside of debian
> organisation. I do not believe this will be beneficial for both
> communities.

> Instead what I have been trying to do is simply use the documented
> 'build.sysclasspath' [1], ant option. Mark's solution was more
> invasive even if he used json scripts to automagically fix ant build
> files.
>
> So really as long as netcdf/bioformats allow use of
> build.sysclasspath=first then all is fine with me.

If that works on your side, it sounds like a fine solution, though we certainly haven't tested it that I know of. My personal preference (and mid- to long-term goal) would be to either modify the existing build to allow selecting between property sets or to use maven/ivy to do that selection. So "debian=true" above would actually be something more like: "ant -Drepo=usr-share" with the default being to use jars under artifacts. Some form of flag or state-detection would also allow handling remove_git.patch and Mark's patches around the OSGI target in the mainline. But, otherwise, separating the Debian concerns out makes great sense.

> There are still a
> couple of tiny patches but that was mostly me banging my head trying
> to get things moving. I believe in the end the number of patches
> should be much smaller.
>
> The only patch, I really dislike so far is the following:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/bio-formats/trunk/debian/patches/ij.patch?view=markup

This one I'll leave for Melissa to comment on.

> I guess I need to check if using newer imagej release this patch goes away.

>> (Would the jars be allowed to remain unused, or must they be deleted to adhere to the Debian guidelines?)

> Yes we are required to remove any convenient copy of
> libraries, as per policy §4.13
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-embeddedfiles

Understood. Roger pointed out the same to me just now: "the embedded jars would require deleting in the debian .orig.tar to sanitise it for distribution.  Repacking the upstream source is typical in cases like this."

>> Where possible we'd certainly like to make Debian packaging simpler. A new stable release of Bio-Formats (4.4) is planned for the summer which it would be ideal to target, giving us a chance to merge in patches and the bulk of Mark's work (especially having seen some of how he suffered!)
>
> Again the number of patch should really be minimalistic in the end.
>
>> I've CC'd Melissa Linkert, the Bio-Formats lead. Roger Leigh, a (previously non-Java) Debian maintainer who's recently joined the Bio-Formats project, is already subscribed to the list.
>
> The biggest issue is that I do not believe I will be ready for the
> debian freeze (should happen before summer if I recall correctly). The
> whole bio-formats packaging seems very difficult to me, this is why I
> can only build a minimal number of targets right now:
>
> "jar-autogen jar-common jar-formats jar-jai jar-loci-plugins
> jar-lwf-stubs jar-mdbtools jar-metakit jar-ome-xml jar-poi-loci"

What are the issues you've run into for the other targets? Specific jars missing from Debian?

> Thanks for your interest and CCing people to help out ! And thanks for bio-formats !
> -M

Gladly (on all fronts). ~Josh