Re: Tasks pages (close to) fixed; Bibref does not seem to be updated automatically

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 05:51:59PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> the two approaches have symmetrical flaws:
>
>  - VCS URLs may be wrong, causing some packages to be missed.

Currently we have a difference of about 30% missing upstream files and
we have not yet developed means to verify the completeness.

>  - VCS can contain obsolete copies of packages transferred somewhere else,
>    causing incorrect data to be provided.

A potential copy will raise an exception and thus a signal which needs
to be handled (and tested).  I consider this singular exceptions which
do not reach into the large percentage currently observed above.

It might be we need a combination of both (in case we will have packages
outside of VCS) but all current practical cases could be handled with
the second method.

> Using version strings could solve some of the conflicts, but possibly not all,
> and would increase the complexity of the gathering system.

Yes, that would make the system more complicated than needed.  The key
constraint in UDD will make sure that we get the same citation only one
time.  There is no need for stronger means here.

> Basically, it means
> to restart everything from scratch, except for agreeing on the convention to
> use debian/upstream with a YAML syntax.

Yes.  I fully support this.

> Do you have another solution in mind ?

I would add the following specification for the gatherer:

  1. Fetches *all* available debian/upstream files
  2. Does this automatically (= without manual triggering)