Re: [MoM]: r9659 - trunk/packages/fis-gtm/fis-gtm/trunk/debian

Hi Luis,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 09:38:51AM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> This was my first lame attempt at
> making progress on the installation front     :-)

:-)

> Here was my reasoning:
>
> fis-gtm makefile provide a target called "package"
> that takes the outcome of the build, and package it
> into the tar file:
>
>         gtm_V54002B_linux_i586_pro.tar.gz
>
> It contains a collection of executables, *.m files,
> *.o files, and several scripts.
>
> This is the same tar file that ones downloads
> from sourceforge when manually installing
> fis-gtm (as far as I understand...).
>
> e.g. here are the instructions we use in that case:
> http://osehra.org/wiki/installing-gtm
>

> So, my plan was:
>
> 1) Take advantage of the "package" target in the
>      gtm Makefile, to select the binary files of interest
>      to be included in an installation.
>
> 2)  Take the resulting tar.gz file, expand it in a tmp
>       directory,  (debian/tmp).
>
> 3)   Finally, cherry-pick the files from that tmp
>       directory and put them in their final destination

Thanks for the explanation which helps understanding your approach which
is unusual but for the moment but I can not see any problem in it
(besides the esthetical fact that it contains some useless tar - untar
process which could be avoided somehow).

> Two alternative plans are;
>

> A) To directly use the "./configure" file in the
>      binary directory, which actually pick some
>      defaults and move files to their final location.
>      http://osehra.org/wiki/installing-gtm
>
> or
>
> B)  Work from the "gtminstall" script that Bhaskar
>       pointed out.  In this case, we have to skip several
>       portions of the script, because it really starts with
>       downloading the tar files from sourceforge.
>

> This is clearly another chapter
> in which I have a lot to learn...      :-)

I'm to less involved into this to decide which plan works out best.
For the moment I'd go the most simple way which leads to a working
package and I trust you to find this way.