Re: [MoM] Packaging of python-csb - report #3

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 01:17:20AM +0100, Tomás Di Domenico wrote:
> > Fine.  The ITP is OK in general.  As a hint for the future:  It is a
> > good idea to add a hint that the package is maintained in the Debian Med
> > team and it also does not harm to mention the Vcs-Git information where
> > you did your packaging.
> >
> I see. These hints you mention, would they go in the package description?

Well, I add this somewere free form in the end of the mail after the
package description leaving some extra space to make clear that it is
not part of the description.  Wenn issuing an ITP bug report you finally
are creating some e-mail and human beeings are reading it - so they can
perfectly tell appart what belongs to the formal fields and whats an
additional hint.

> > At first some nitpicking:  The debian/rules file does contain the
> > usual comment of the dh-make template - please remove this or replace
> > it by something more reasonable than "Sample debian/rules ..."
> >
> > Now for the real problems:  If you try
> >
> >    lintian -i -I *.changes
> >
> > in the dir where your packaging results are placed lintian finds two
> > issues with formally low priority.  However, both deserve fixing.  So
> > writing a debian/watch file is something we try to approach for every
> > package if somehow possible.
> >

> I've looked into the upstream site (http://csb.codeplex.com), and I
> can't seem to find a page where you would get direct access to the
> .tar.gz file. Instead you get a series of redirects. Apparently, the
> 'https://csb.codeplex.com/releases/' url will redirect you to the final
> release, but the actual link to the sources file is not explicitly
> linked from the page source. Would the tool be able to handle this kind
> of redirects?

Yes uscan is and the manpage of uscan gives some hints.  You might also
have a look onto the more complex watch files regarding similar upstream
masquerading of the download files (for instance [1]).  However, IMHO
the best way to go in your current situation is to kindly ask on the
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org list for some help.  This serves two
purposes: At first you get some help (I'm currently on some
mini-vacation) in the actual issue and secondly you also learn where to
get competent help from Debian community in your packaging work.

> Great. As soon as I figure out the 'watch' file I'll get in touch with
> the python-modules team.

Fine.

Its nice to see that you are progressing fast.

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/elastix/trunk/debian/watch?view=markup