Re: [MoM] Packaging of python-csb - report #2

Hi Tomás,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 06:06:07PM +0100, Tomás Di Domenico wrote:
> Right. Round 2:
>
> 1) I've commited the repository.

I can confirm that I now was able to clone a non-empty repository -
fine.

> I tried to replicate the structure from
> some existing python-* packages already on git. I didn't see them
> including the upstream/orig tarballs. Should they go there too? If so,
> where?

Please check Debian Med policy for the keyword pristine-tar.  The
drivers of the Git adoption in the Debian Med team decided to import the
full upstream source into the repository.  While git-buildpackage also
allows a different repository layout (without injecting upstream source
via pristine-tar) people here do consider this as a good idea.  (I
*personally* consider this as a useless waste of disk space but well, we
need some common rules and I can deal with this somehow.)

> 2) I've tried many ways of building the package. Started with
> "git-buildpackage", but then changed to just "pdebuild". No matter what
> I do, I keep getting this error:

> dh clean --with python2
> dh: unable to load addon python2: Can't locate
> Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python2.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 3) line 2.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 3) line 2.
>
> I've looked for solutions around, but could find none. Any feedback
> would be appreciated.

Yep, that's very easy to solve and is actually an advantage of using a
clean chroot as build environment.  I bet the build would work with a
plain `debuild` (without the p in the beginning) and you would not learn
the essential lection about the Build-Depends field in debian/control.
If you want to know what Build-Depends might be needed it is a very good
idea to consult apt-file.  The error message above claims that the file
Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python2.pm is missing and so you try

 $ apt-file search Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python2.pm
python: //var/cache/apt/apt-file/http.debian.net_debian_dists_testing_main_Contents-amd64.gz:usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python2.pm
python: //var/cache/apt/apt-file/http.debian.net_debian_dists_unstable_main_Contents-amd64.gz:usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python2.pm

Which in turn means adding the line

   Build-Depends: python

will fix the problem above.  Alternatively you might have a look into
packages using python2 and these will all feature this line.

Hope this helps to solve your problem and feel free to keep on asking.