Re: test the packaging

Hi Charles,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 03:08:48PM +0200, Charles Roduit wrote:
> So, ok, I removed the deb repository from the tarball and also
> pushed a new revision of OpenFovea (0.1a162).

Thanks.
I fixed the packaging which had slight problems with installing the
manpage.

> I have some more questions about the cycles of release. This
> software is still under hard development and I frequently propose
> updates (more or less weekly). Is this cycle frequency compatible to
> DebMed or do you need lower frequency updates (monthly, yearly, ...)
> ? Do you prefer I push only major revisions to DebMed ? In this
> latter case, I will still produce deb files for minor updates and
> will call you only for major updates.

There is no clear answer to this question.  I admit I'm personally not
really motivated to do a weekly sponsoring of the packages.  If you want
to reach this flexibility you probably should try to become a Debian
maintainer yourself if you consider this an important bit of your
release cycle.

In principle there is no real rule how frequently a package could /
should be uploaded to Debian unstable.  You should be aware that a
package needs to reside ten days in unstable (at least) if it should
migrate to testing.  So a strictly weekly upload will prevent the
package to enter testing which is surely not wanted.

> One later question : when new release is coming, is there an
> automatic scan of the webpage using the "watch" file or do I need to
> update the version number using the "changelog" file from the svn ?

The automatic scan is done on the watch files.  Just try uscan to see
how it works.  If the package is uploaded to official Debian (in the
current state of packaging it is fir for this IMHO) we get the
information from uscan inside the Ultimate Debian Database which is
used to create the Debian Med web sentinel and the information about
new upstream versions is displayed there.  The debian/changelog file
is not relevant for this.