bowtie2 messed up git repository

Hi All,

Could you please suggest what is better in the following case:
2 weeks ago I imported the new upstream (2.0.0-beta7) version of bowtie2
to the repository, but than I decided to revert back to the old commit.
Here is the discussion why I decided so [0].
After all I used push --force to revert to the old commit, but it seems
that I forgot to revert tags.
Now the commit is 13 days old and there is tag 2.0.0-beta7 which doesn't
allow me to import the same version again.
Would it be acceptable to remove this tag and commit a new one with the
same name?

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/07/msg00179.html

Thank you,
Alex