Re: package strap and strap-base work

Hi Christoph,

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 06:14:59PM +0200, Dr. med. Christoph Gille wrote:

> I am pleased that the packages strap-base and strap seem to work.
> I have tested the generated debian packages on  XUbuntu.
> I have installed them with dpkg -i strap-base and dpkg -i strap.
>
> I do not yet fully understand file suffices and mime types. From
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedMIME I understand, that I need to make
> files strap.mime and strap.sharedmimeinfo (unless defined in
> chemical-mime-data) and insert a line in strap.desktop? This is quite
> redundant!

Currently there is some heavy discussion on debian-devel list about mime
(and whether possibly mime entries could be generated from desktop
files).  In fact Debian Policy 9.7 says you should provide mime handling
and I agree that this makes perfectly sense if you are using programs
like mutt, lynx/w3m, mc, emacs and others.  So providing mime entries is
a good thing.

We also should support fredesktop.org specifications in *.desktop files
(even if this is not (yet) specified in Debian Policy as far as I know).

So yes, this is a bit redundant.

> Do I need to manually add entries in strap.sharedmimeinfo for
> swissprot files, fasta-files genpept files, clustalw files?
> Those are not in the debian package chemical-mime-data.

I wonder whether we should maintain some biological-mime-data package.