Licensing issues (Was: Debian tasks: Reputer)

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 02:11:39PM +0200, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:

> I have just talked to Stefan (Kurtz) about this and apparently he is not
> interested in making REPuter available, even in binary form, without a
> signed written license agreement. So that means it is not just about
> "accessible source for some individuals", the problem rather being the
> uncontrollable nature of distributing the software via a Debian repository.
> Regarding source, the source code of REPuter is also not open.
> By the way, the REPuter functionality is now contained in the Vmatch
> software suite (http://www.vmatch.de), which is similarly licensed.
> Sorry to disappoint, but it seems quite unlikely that a package will
> ever come up for this software.

I exluded REPuter and thus also RepeatFinder which depends from it from
our todo list in the tasks file because I do not see a point in
advertising non-distributable code.

More generally speaking: We did not (yet) reached the goal that
including a software into Debian is attractive enough to let people
consider any license change.

This reminds me that we also to some extend should try to do some
non-technical work like talking to people about their license as I
suggested here

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Southport2012/ePetition_Phylip

but unfortunately without any visible success.