Re: new software ready for inspection: situs

Hi Mickaël,

thanks for your engagement in the Debian Med team.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 02:24:04PM +0200, Mickaël Canévet wrote:
> I just uploaded my first package to alioth: situs.
>
> I choose this one because one of my users just asked me to install it on
> his machine and it seamed to be easy to package, so I did it.
>
> Could you review it and tell me how I could improve it.

I have checked out

   git+ssh://tille@git.debian.org/git/debian-med/situs.git

and think we need to work a bit on this.  At first it might be advisable
to read the parts about Git in the Debian Med group policy[1].  In the
commited repository I do see currently three directories:

   src/   - this seems to contain the real source of situs
   fftw/  - seems to be a convinience copy of fftw library - we
            should make sure that for the package build the Debian
            packaged library will be used
   bin/   - binary executables - something we do not really need
            in the repository except if it is by chance contained
            in the upstream tarball - but it would be better to advise
            upstream not to include it

What I did not found is a branch with pristine-tar and upstream as it
usualy is created if you import the source tarball as advised in our
policy document[1].  This usually ends up in something like

$ git branch
* master
  pristine-tar
  upstream

Also I'm missing a debian/ dir - in short anything what is about actual
*packaging*.  Are you sure that you pushed all your local content of the
repository?  I learned that a

    git push --all

might be an essential thing to do.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about it is probably time for
becoming a MoM[2] student and we might together walk through the
packaging step by step.

After having visited the situs homepage and trying to download the
source I ended up with some download page[3].  This seems to be the
first hurdle to discuss with upstream.  I know that there might be
reasons for them to control the number of downloads but this on one hand
disables our tools to reasonably detect new version numbers on the other
hand a packaging for Debian means that the source tarball will be
available on a different place than theirs and we should at least
explain this fact to them to be friendly (even if their license is GPL
and would in principle enable us doing this).

So what do you think about MoM to create a proper debian/ dir and
build a real Debian package?

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[3] http://situs.biomachina.org/freg1.html