Re: Any progress with FIS GT.M?

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012, Luis Ibanez wrote:
>      yeap -- all executables scripts must have shebang to guarantee proper
>      environment to be chosen.

>    I'm now inserting the shebang line in the "rules" file, by calling sed.
>    It is not pretty, but it does the trick.

I would strongly recommend just to do these changes in upstream
repository so they become a part of upcoming fresh "orig" tarball.  If
those scripts are POSIX-shell compliant (e.g. with dash which is default
/bin/sh on Debian systems) -- use #!/bin/sh.  If they require bash --
#!/bin/bash (which might be a safer choice altogether).

>    Note that, after the change, one of the scripts get a format warning
>    from lintian. (must still track that one:  +1 in my TODO list).

;-) just change in upstream sources -- any objections Amul?

>      if they are to be sourced they should not be executable... we might
>      altogether place them under /etc/fis-gtm/5.5.000/ since they sound like
>      environment configuration files.  Are they supposed to be sourced by any
>      fis-gtm's script? then we might like to symlink them back under
>      /usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/

>    This is a question for Bhaskar.
>    The implications escape me...    :-)

there should be none (unless there is some obscure readlink -f logic
inside ;) )

>      most probably.  if no internal scripts/binaries rely on it to be there:
>      rm after installation (in debian/rules).  If they are needed -- lintian
>      override is needed with a description for that
>    I used the dictatorial method of deleting the COPYING file
>    with an entry in the rules file. Another non-pretty solution,
>    but yet one that does the trick...

that one is how I would do it -- so must be correct! ;)

>      > >W: fis-gtm-5.5.000: shlib-with-executable-stack
>      usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/libgtmshr.so
>      > [amul:1] This is expected. Ignore it
>      weird -- that should have been ignored since I added creation of an
>      override in debian/rules... may be that old lintian did not understand
>      the '*' in the file pattern... test with  a fresh one
>    I'll post the outputs of a fresh build.

I hope we could avoid that ;) (i.e. it would just work ;) )

>    This step resets permissions to safe defaults.

>    In our case, we have to override the default behavior
>    of this stage, in order to prevent it from changing the
>    permissions that we have set correctly in the intermediate
>    installation.

>    Is that right ?

sounds correct

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences