Re: [MoM] Any student for June?

Hi Dustin,

thanks for your interest in Debian Med.

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 10:52:13AM -0500, Dustin Phipps wrote:
> I am new to this mailing list and have been reading all the threads to
> try and get a sense of the work you are all doing. I haven't done any
> packaging for Debian before but I have done some coding/scripting in
> a hobbyist's capacity and I want to get involved with the project.

That's great.

> If it
> is of any help, I'm a pre-medical student and a researcher in a
> microbiology lab, so I'm familiar with the theory behind a lot of this
> stuff. Thanks for your generous offer; I'd like to take advantage of it
> but I don't want to waste your time if my skills/knowledge aren't up to
> par just yet.

I don't think that it is a waste of time if I try to teach somebody who
is willing to learn.

> Regardless, I'm always eager to learn.

Because MoM is kind of a first comes first served basis and I just
accepted Eric I think I'm up for the July mentoring period for you.
However, the fact that you are not "the official MoM student" does not
mean you are not allowed to ask questions here.  My initial idea for
MoM was to actually motivate / lower the barrier for questions for
*everybody*.

So I would have two advises for you (and everybody who might be in a
similar position):

   1. Try to read and understand the Debian Med policy[1] and possibly
      even more importantly try to enhance what from your point of view
      (=as a newcomer) needs enhancement
   2. Either try to make a pick from the "yellow" or "red" sections
      on our tasks page (as a researcher in a microbiology lab this is
      most probably med-bio[2]) or try to spot some software missing
      from this page and care for its addition.  IMHO a very important
      point is that *you* should have some profit from the package
      you are working on because this increases the motivation to work
      on it.

Just let us know questions regarding 1. might occure or if you have
made a pick for 2.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio#pkgvcs-debs