dcm4chee packaging (Was: [MoM] Any student for June?)

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 11:16:37AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> There *are*, BTW, unofficial packages available:
>
> 	http://cdmedicpacsweb.sourceforge.net/CDMEDIC_PACS_WEB.html
>
> from which one can probably glean a lot of ideas.

I can only find binary packages from what you can not glean that much
for packaging.  The volunteer should most probably start by asking the
authors of these binary packages whether they could also provide source
packages.  To my (continuous) astonishment there are several people out
there who are providing binary Debian packages without having the
slightest idea about source packages.  The authors picked some
instructions from a very deep corner of the internet how to manually
implement what dpkg-buildpackage is doing and they are doing things the
hard way which neither helps them nor us but it is a quite frequent
method outside of {debian,ubuntu,derivative-x}.org to do this.

> Maybe the current goal cannot be to get dcm4chee into /main
> but rather into /nonfree ?

May be.  IMHO the problem is not to find a target package for MoM but
rather a student who is willing to do the work.