Re: use of json.org in biojava3-ws

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 02:03:27PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2012-05-29 13:59, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> > Hi,
> > biojava3 makes use of json.org library.
> > this library is not packaged in  Debian. After a google, I saw old posts
> > saying that library is (was?) not compliant regarding its license [0].
> > Though, after a quick look on their web site I do not see any restriction.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me is something wrong with their code for not being
> > packaged?
> >

> > [0] http://www.json.org/license.html
> >
> > Olivier
> >

> """
> The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil.
> """
>
> Fails DFSG#5 or DFSG#6.
>
> Not to mention "evil" is not defined, so it makes it hard to figure out
> whether "we are doing evil or not".

I'd call this an "over-picky" interpretation of something that rather
qualifies as a joke rather than a license which can be dealt with in
court (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, just try to apply common sense.)

I'd like to answer this kind of joke at maximum by a comment in
debian/copyright and simply define that using Debian is per definition
not evil (which solves you second problem of a missing definition to
some extend.)

Did anybody discussed this at debian-legal or with ftpmaster?