Re: packaging which supports multiple versions of an app on the same host

> This is handled on Linux with libraries so nicely by default.  Version numbers in the file names, symlinks where the version number loses resolution or is gone entirely, the ability to be precise about which version you want or to not care and get the latest.

for those better look at fsl which provides fsl-4.1 now... and then
$> ls /etc/fsl/fsl.sh -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 May 17  2011 /etc/fsl/fsl.sh -> 4.1/fsl.sh

so those who want just to use most recent version source /etc/fsl/fsl.sh
and who needs specific one -- the versioned .sh file

> So if we need to package something which already has Debian packaging, but just not in a multiversion way, we can make a fork and do that.

or just reach agreement with the maintainer about going for the versioned
package (at least for major, backward incompatible releases), thus contributing
to the project

> When we package something which is newer than is provided in Debian-Med, we'll start with the packaging for the older version and update it as necessary.  Is there a good way to feed that back to this team?

the easiest would be to join the team, discuss/commit changes and seek
sponsorship

> And when the software is not packaged at all for Debian, and we make a package for it, is there a good avenue to get that to this team so they have less work to do, and could integrate it into your distribution?

the same -- if you feel that software is in the realm of debian-med -- just
join the team and package/maintain it within the debian-med project/team.  This
way there would be no duplication of efforts and everyone would benefit.

Cheers,