Re: [MoM] Regarding status of fis-gtm-initial package

On 01/23/2012 02:01 PM, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, Andreas Tille wrote:
                                IMHO that's pretty useless and thus I
changed debian/rules to only install the tar which matches the
architecture that matches the build system.

There has been a discussion about this some time ago ...

(in my case the amd64 binary) and a postinst file created by Thorsten
that seems to implement some installation magic.  I did not dived into
this but it fails for me:

Hmm, once upon a time it worked ...

The -initial-package does contain some binary stuff. This is only used to compile the real sources from the -server-packages. So it is needed on the buildd in some kind of package. But as one of my goals for the future is to replace the -initial-package by some "real" mumps compiler, I created two packages and hope to let one disappear in the future (this would enable us to build fis-gtm on any architecture). Unfortunately I found no mumps compiler yet that was currently able to do the job.
[KSB] There are several MUMPS compilers, both free / open source and otherwise, but in terms of supporting a full MUMPS, there are only two, of which GT.M is the only one that is Free.

Further those packages are quite huge and if somebody just wants to have a look at the sources, he does not need to download all that binary stuff.
[KSB] There should be no binary stuff in the source tarball.

As far as I understood the A-version of the initial package could also be used to build the B and any other following version. So there is no update needed for that package. Did I remember this right Bhaskar?
[KSB] Yes, your memory is right, Thorsten. Once you have an initial GT.M package, you can use that to build subsequent GT.M packages. Or, for that first build, you can use a GT.M on another system for the small part of the build that uses GT.M, or convert the files by hand, etc. It's just like gcc.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

  Thorsten

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.