Re: Ginkgo-CADx segfaults

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Sebastian Hilbert
<sebastian.hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Friday, November 11, 2011 01:55:51 AM Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>>
>> I definitely encourage that patches for upstream bugs be sent
>> upstream.
>>
>> > The question was more along the lines if Debian packages accept patches
>> > which upstream refuses (have not checked with upstream ITK but have had
>> > issues with wxwidgets).
>>
>> It's common for Debian to have patches not in upstream.  Often, in my
>> experience, it's not because of upstream refusal but due to differing
>> priority or differing release cycles.  I generally have a number of
>> patches for Boost that upstream takes multiple releases to
>> incorporate.
>>
>> If you have a patch for the problem, I encourage you to submit a
>> Debian bug report as well as the upstream one, and link them.
>>

> Raising this problem upstream at Ginkgo I was pointed to
>
> this bug report against itk upstream
>
> https://itk.icts.uiowa.edu/jira/browse/ITK-2457
>
> The comment from Mathieu there made me check which gdcm libinsighttolkit
> depends on in Debian
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/libinsighttoolkit3.20
>
> This however indicates that it already depends on gdcm 2.x
>
> which in turn means the bug is not fixed ?
>
> Supposedly most work is on itk4 which might make the problem go away.

That's correct. ITK in debian has not been using the old GDCM 1.x
where a static buffer was used to decompress JPEG segment since years.
ITK uses a thread safe implementation in GDCM 2.x. I would think the
issue is not the one described in bug ITK-2457

HTH
--
Mathieu