Re: Package available (was Re: Micro Manager)

Hello,

On 11/03/2011 09:06 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Mark Longair
> <mark-debianlists@longair.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Unfortunately, I believe that my current approach to creating
>> the Fiji Debian packages is the wrong one, and it might be worth
>> taking a paragraph or two to explain why.
[complicated bits skipped]

My first reflex was to invite you to our Sprint in Southport next January
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Southport2012
which alone for its FPGA introduction you may like.

I was very happy about your proposal to start a rearrangement of
Fiji that is DFSG compliant. In parallel to that, I would like to discuss
the possibility to upload more or less what you have with the non-free
section of Debian. For the end user this may be easier since they won't
be suprised of any feature gap. And for the developers it may be
easier, too, since the DFSGisation can be performed incrementally.

Concering the ever-broken version-dependencies to external tools,
this will be of less concern when the release of Debian is frozen.
One could for instance argue that Fiji would be installed properly
only through backports.debian.org, with respective dependencies
always being updated as they are needed through backports, too.

When there are too many packages in Debian you depend on,
it all becomes a bit tedious, but assuming you "know" quite a number
of maintainers of those packages, then I can imagine those
maintainers to update to a particular version you need just because
you asked them. But also your co-developers should have
some discipline to not juggle with dependencies too much.

I think I opt for using non-free and ask for a Debian community
support to bring it to main. Such tasks are great imo to attract new
developers to the distribution: solid functionality, clear problem.

Best,

Steffen