Re: Prism build attempts

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:22:13AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> While I agree with that being strange I'm not sure it can be
> a blanket statement for any sort of package. Consider
> upgrades to gnumed-server - you'll have to initiate the
> actual database upgrade yourself after installing a new
> package -- because Debian simply cannot know when the time
> is right for actually upgrading the database with regard to
> clients on, maybe, *other* machines connecting to this
> Debian machine as database server.

Well, as I said previousely, this approach makes life way easier for the
packager but it is finally not the best possible solution.  If there is
something "Debian simply cannot know" it should ask for it in a debconf
question, like

   [ ] Upgrade database server now
   [ ] Do it manually later

So inprinciple there should be a chance for the user to get everything
running straight after the package installation / upgrade (while keeping
the freedom to do everything manually).  But I think we just discussed
this previousely ...