Re: MediSnap - GPLv3 medical photo system - just released

> I had this discussion with another sponsee (I'm a tiny bit active also
> in Debian Edu and wanted to sponsor one package there - the discussion
> was on the debian-mentors list[1] because Debian Edu does not really
> have a packaging team).  The principle is simple:  At first you download
> an upstream tarball (usually of the latest upstream release - and you
> told us here that there is such a release).  This will be renamed to
>
>    <packagename>_<version>.orig.tar.gz
>
> This archive will be untarred and than you create the debian/ directory
> inside the root of the untarred files.  Please have a look at dh_make
> which creates quite reasonable templates - most of them are not really
> used in your case.  What we maintain in Debian is only the debian/ dir
> including the patches which might be necessary (or not) to change the
> upstream tarball.  I think it becomes clear if you check out some
> examples of Debian Med SVN.

Let me tell you that even if some of the "policies" Debian uses seem
tedious or require a bit of work and dedication to get right initially
they are the base of why Debian can deliver a large and reliable
distribution. Its well worth following the guidelines even if they may
sometimes feel a bit strict.

(I, for example, have eventually accepted that Debian will always want
me to provide man pages for all "binaries", that is, things that go
in /usr/(s)bin/ ;-)

Karsten