Re: Clinica

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 03:51:50PM +0100, Leonardo Robol wrote:
> Thanks. I may have messed a little with the pristine-tar branch, and I may have
> have deleted it completely :). I will try to regenerate it from the original
> tarball.

Fine.  Feel free on asking for help here.

> We looked at GNUmed before starting this project. This whole thing
> started when a friend of us switched from Windows to Ubuntu, and tried to
> find a good solution to keep track of the visits of her patients.
>
> In first place we suggested her GNUmed. She tried it but it turned out
> to be too "complete" for her purposes. She doesn't work in an hospital
> or with other doctors and was looking for something simpler to use.

At least what I know about GNUmed (my insight as "just a packager no
user" is probably limited) this perfectly fits the GNUmed scope which is
also targeting basically to a single practice and explicitely not at a
hospital.  It might be overwhelming in functionality at first sight but
maintaining medical record is simply a complex topic which finally is
reflected in some complexity of the software.  The beginner steps into a
software with some degree of complexity are always hard and probably
needs some professional introduction.  I (again: as an outsider) can not
really imagine that the approach to rewrite some more simple
functionality is a sustainable way to make a doctor happy.  Sooner or
later they will ask you for more and more features and it might end up
in "Yet Another GNUmed" with an interface which is different because of
different historical roots.

> We started this project using her needs as guidelines and then it has
> grown far beyond the expectations.

This is what I would have expected after reading the first paragraph and
is the fate of probably 90% of all software.

> The mission for this project so is slightly different from the GNUMed's one,
> but we don't exclude that a cooperation could be fruitful for both teams.

I would start this discussion by trying to analyse what exact features
of GNUmed would contradict the usage in the practice of your friend.