Re: [opensuse-medical] Calling for help for medical project. How do I create a live cd as I want it?

Le 14 déc. 2011 à 22:20, Stathis Iosifidis (aka diamond_gr) a écrit :

> Hello,

Hello,

Like with my precedent mail, I'm ccing to all Medical Linux distro teams because I believe that this discussion can be done in collaboration with all teams (even if the final result will be different for each team). See my precedent mail about a central mailing list.

> Next week I'm planing to have the first medical project meeting. I'll inform you about.
>
> Following what mentioned:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-medical/2011-11/msg00007.html
>
> I was searching a way how to create a live cd fully functional.

I think that you will not be able to create a LiveCD with fully functional MySQL, PostGreSQL servers.
If you succeed with an installation of these server, data will be lost at each restart.

Assuming that your wishes are:
- distributing an easy system for app testing
- install and preconfigure medical&related apps
- make this fully installable (system and config) to any computer

I suggest to dig around LiveUSB with data persistence instead of digging deeper in LiveCD.

(with a simplification) There are two kinds of LiveUSB:
- LiveUSB installator
    * same as LiveCD installator
    * install a complete system to your computer using an USBKey, no data persistence.
    * Usefull in our case but not what you are looking for.
- LiveUSB installation
    * same as a computer installation
    * Linux is completely installed on an USBKey with all driver needed to process hardware config,
    * a specific partition is created for the data persistence.
    * This allows you to create a full OpenSuse/Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora

There is a similar project here:

	http://www.framakey.org/

I'm not a LiveUSB guru but I succeed on create a live usb drive with a 4Go key and ubuntu. Unfortunately, I didn't succeed to boot it from my MacBook, and I didn't go further (install personnal packages and config). It started on a Dell computer.

What do you think about this orientation ?
-----
Eric Maeker, MD (Fr)
http://www.freemedforms.com
http://www.ericmaeker.fr