Re: Ginkgo-CADx segfaults

On 11/10/2011 09:21 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 08:49:11AM +0100, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
>> I am currently working with upstream to get some problems corrected. Turns out
>> that part of the problem is that e.g. ITK would need patches.
>>
>> How would you consider the chances that those patches find their way into
>> Debian packages ?
> I'd file a (minor ??? - depending how general this problem is) bug
> report with patch against ITK package and add an "affects #648167" tag
> to stress the importance for GinkgoCADx.
Sorry for saying the obvious here, but if the bug is not
Debian-specific, then it should go to ITK upstream. Such issues are
(part of) why I am so much after getting upstream involved in the
distribution woes, be they maintainers or just visiting our sprints.
Just, we cannot be involved with everyone directly.

>From what I can tell from my maintenance of BOINC, any bug report sent
to pkg-boinc that is with some confidence an upstream issue needs some
very obvious urgency for me to jump into an immediate action that goes
beyond a "please report to upstream" reply. If the submitter does not
care - it is not so important and can wait - I call it auto-triage.
Hence, beyond what Andreas has suggested, please also file a bug report
with the ITK project and/or mail the developers directly. If you want to
make it perfect,  then also inform the Debian BTS with the forward
directive (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control).

Something else we should consider is to offer a  GinkgoCADx-dbg package.
This helps enormously in communicating with upstream and is trivial to
implement with the dh_strip option --dbg-package=ginkgocadx-dbg. I can
do that for you if you want.

Best,

Steffen