Re: OpenClinica in Debian-Med

On Friday, November 04, 2011 09:50:52 AM Olivier Sallou wrote:
> Le 11/4/11 9:39 AM, Sebastian Hilbert a écrit :

> >> I see in trunk it is a maven project [1]
> >> It gets all dependencies from a maven repository.
> >> Maven is quite an issue in Debian from my recent experience. While there
> >> are some helpers to manage this, you need to get
> >> all dependencies in Debian but also set for maven use.
> >>
> >> For your package, you cannot use the maven repos.
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance but why is that ?
>
> With maven, you download some jar files located in a remote repository
> (maven or other).
> So, to build your package, you would download files from an other
> location, not using debian libs, furthermore there is no control on
> remote jar license, source availability etc...

Thanks for pointing that out. How about shipping the sources for the jars in
the OC tarball ?

I have cheched the licenses for the jars (see previous mails)

During packaging the jars could be built locally if that is possible.

> > Anyway I had a quick look and found this:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder
>
> I never tested it, but already had a look. If I am correct, the mvn
> helper "translate" dependencies to Debian dependencies, but those
> dependencies need to have a pom file (maven descriptor). And for those
> not available in Debian, it won't solve the problem....
> The script will create a local repository to be used by maven.

The local repository could somehow be created from the sources for the jars
shipped in the to be created OC tarball. So what you are saying is that for
building a package all dependencies have to be on the build system and it is
not acceptable to fetch them from somewhere ?

Regards,
Sebastian