Re: Southport + Seeding FPGA application acceleration in our community

This is some nice development!

That said, there are some other companies that has tried this out and I doubt this will really take off. There might be some potential for the protein folding stuff where they still struggle, but the GPUs have taken whatever little market there was. They're already in the computer and as far as I have seen have more power/$ (so we really have to make sure the opencl/cuda drivers work!). When it comes to things like alignments and other routine operations, we live in an age when people take their perl code and run it on their 100 core cluster... A total waste of resources but biologists are not computer scientists and do not care about doing things The Right Way (tm). I would say that getting them to even use hashmaps and other basic techniques is usually out of reach.

but we live to see what happens :)

/Johan

Johan Henriksson
PhD student, Karolinska Institutet