Re: status of packages

Le Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 07:48:21PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz a écrit :

> I just found out that package abyss is currently not maintained
> within Debian Med but still in the svn repository. As there are
> currently several methods to mark packages no longer within svn
> (MOVED, README_git, now_managed_via_git,
> REMOVED_FROM_DEBIAN.readme), I would like to restart a previous
> discussion and propose a machine readable README.status file.
> It should contain at least a Status:- and a Comment:-line. In case
> of an abandoned package there might be also a Reason:- and maybe an
> URL:-line. If the package is finally deleted from svn, a Revision:
> might be added.
>
> For now the following values come into my mind:
> Revision: 1234         <- Revision of svn delete command (in case someone
>                           want to have a look at this old stuff)
> Comment: xxxx          <- lots of interesting stuff about the package,
>                           this should be the last entry

Hi Thorsten,

this is a very good idea.  I sometimes use a debian/DRAFT file in the draft
packages I upload, but would be happy to use debian/README.status instead.
Here are a couple of suggestions.

 - Use YAML as a syntax.  There are parsers for many languages, that are very
   easy to use.

 - Do not require fields to be in a particular order, as it is not the case
   in Debian control files, YAML, email headers, or other pre-existing syntaxes
   that could be used for README.status.

 - I find the Status field redundant with the other fields.

For instance:

Could be simplified in:

  Moved: git://somewhere.example.com/foo.git

or:

  Comment: feel free to take over and upload to NEW.

could be simplified in:

  Draft: feel free to take over and upload to NEW.

Also, a Format field might be useful in case README.status has so much
success that a backwards-incompatible version 2.0 is needed to extend it :)

Perhaps you can have a look at my “UMEGAYA”, UPstream MEtadata GAthered with
YAml project, which I unfortunately neglected recently for expriments on the
Amazon computer cloud and DEP 5.

http://upstream-metadata.debian.net/

Cheers,

Charles