Re: Files included in EMBOSS but licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 09:09:58AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Their license is Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-ND
> 3.0), and it disallows modification of the files.  The presence of these files

... which is perfectly understandable and reasonable for scientific data. It is
obvious that you cannot just go ahead and change the content of a sequence file,
or any other piece of scientific data. It is in nobodys interest.

> in EMBOSS makes it impossible for Debian to redistribute it in our operating
> system.  I have confirmed with the UniProt consortium's helpdesk that, even in
> isolation, these files are covered by the CC BY-ND license.  There are three
> possible solutions.
>
>  a) Remove the files in Debian's EMBOSS package.
>  b) Distribute EMBOSS with the files, but in the non-free section of the Debian archive.
>  c) Replace the files by Free equivalents, for instance by re-creating records from scratch.
>
> I am not very comfortable with any of the solutions, and was wondering if you
> would have suggestions ?

d) Revise Debians guidelines to adequately deal with scientific data.

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard, asc. professor, MSc, PhD
BiRC - Bioinformatics Research Center, Aarhus University