Re: help wanted for first patch on my package

Hi Olivier,

thanks for keep on working on Biomaj.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 04:08:31PM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> Hi,
> I have made my first patch for Biomaj, after it is uploaded in Debian repo.
> Could someone please confirm, to help me doing the things correctly.
>
> I have in Debian bugs 2 bug ids (1 bug, 1 wishlist).
>
> I fixed the first with a new patch (quilt)

There is somewhere a description (to less time to look up exact place)
how tp document the patch.  You did well in specifying your name and the
bug which is closed but there is some default scheme for also specifying
a short description and time of patch.  That's some nitpicking - I think
less than 50% DDs are maintaining those information ... but you seemed
to ask for the correct and brave way. :-)

In any case please make your changelog more clear, like

  * debian/patches/fix623558_remove_pid: <purpose>
    Closes: #623558
  * Add russian translation of debconf (Thanks to <translator>)
    Closes: #623807

You can specify several lines with "Closes: #<bug>" entries (I
personally use a separate line using () is fine as well).  But please
make clear what entry in the changelog is closing what bug.

There is no need to specify the severity of the bug (like "Add wishlist
bug" - and it is actually not *added* (hopefully :-) )).

Moreover I like to give credit to translators which is probably one
motivation to keep them working on this patiently.

> I update the Changelog to have a new release (xxx-1.1 after xxxx-1) and
> declare Closed bugs.

The version numbering should be xxx-2.  The xxx-y.1 versions are for
NMUs.  I guess debchange was tricked because you were using a different
ID (mail address) temporarily and thus assumed an NMU.  But you are the
maintainer (address in debian/control Uploaders identical to the address
in changelog) - so this is no NMU.