Uploading GBrowse to experimental ?

Dear Olivier,

as you probably have seen on the commit mailing list, I have made a couple of
changes to the gbrowse package.  The goal of many of them was to make the build
process more simple according to the common practices in Debian.  I hope that
you are not offended that I undid some of your work, just to redo it “our way”.
I think that it will help other members of the Debian Med team to contribute.

My main problem is the postinst script that calls
/usr/bin/gbrowse_metadb_config, as I do not understand well that this script is
doing exactly.  It looks like it creates and deletes directories under /usr and
/var.  I think that it is difficult to justify, as these directories may belong
to the package itself.  Indeed, gbrowse fails to be installed twice in a row
when this script is enabled.  Since it does not look necessary to at least run
the examples, I disabled it for the moment.  Similarly, GBrowse seems to create
some files or directory under /usr at run time.  This is also something that
we will have to correct.

This said, I do not want to postpone the upload of the package ad vitam aeternam.
How about uploading it to the experimental section of our archive ?  Then we
can keep on working on the issues above, and the proper setup of the render farm.

In the past, Upstream has been very suppportive and if we have GBrowse in
experimental, I think that they will be very motivated to help us by adding
some flexibility in GBrowse where needed.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,