Re: [SRU] non-free/clustalw and non-free/clustalx relicensed to LGPL-3+.

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this.

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 18:31 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> the programs Clustal W and Clustal X have been freed last December and
> eventually made their way in Wheezy. I wonder if it would be possible to make
> them available in Squeeze, that currently contains the old non-free version.
>
> The relicensing was done at the same time as a new upstream release, so it
> would be an upgrade as well.

Quite large upgrades, too :-/

clustalx: 288 files changed, 57040 insertions(+), 40805 deletions(-)

I think that's far too large a change to be making in stable, even if it
would move the software out of non-free.

clustalw is a bit better, once the build system noise is removed:

The changelog isn't exactly verbose as to what those changes represent,
however.  Additionally, would the old clustalx continue to work as a GUI
to the new clustalw?

> However, since the current clustalx and clustalw
> packages are not part of Debian, would it really be considered an upgrade ?

If it's not an upgrade, then you're asking us to add two completely new
sources packages to a stable release.  I can only recall one instance of
that happening in recent years, which was openssh-blacklist and
introduced via the security archive.

Regards,

Adam