Re: How to apply maven build system (Was: How to use Debian packaged freehep instead of upstream provided freehep.jar)

> Hi,
>
> inspired by some hints about Java packaging I tried another package.  It
> is called patristic[1] (just another biological phylogeny software).  It
> comes just with a directory full of *.java files and the binary download
> just tells in what directory layout the classes should end up.  Chances
> to contact upstream seem low (Homepage mentioned on the scientific
> publication page[2] is not available any more).  So I decided to start
> some maven training and did
>
>   mvn archetype:generate -DgroupId=Patristic -DartifactId=patristic
> -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-quickstart -DinteractiveMode=false
>
> as it is suggested here[3]
>
>> Anyway, unfortunately, you still have to put hands on upstream's code,
>> because maven requires the projects it's working on to have a specific
>> directory structure.
>
> That's fine in the case of patristic - I'd need to repack the code in
> any case - so why not applying the maven directory layout?
>
> I'm actually not very keen on really using maven as long as I can
> get the package working at all - but I actually have no real clue
> what command line would trigger the build process (and upstream)
> seems to be dead.  So in principle the most simple help would be
> a command line which builds the JAR.

Maven is the easiest way. Put all those files into the src/main/java
folder of the created folder with the pom.xml file and run

mvn clean install

You should get a jar in the target folder.