Re: Proposal of two new programs: FinchTV and TraceEdit

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 09:16:01PM +0100, Tomasz Makarewicz wrote:
> There are two free of charge (unfortunately not open source) programs for
> Linux which I found very usefull in analysing DNA sequence from
> chromatogram.
> The first one is FinchTV: http://www.geospiza.com/Products/finchtv.shtml
> And the second one is: Ridom TraceEdit: http://www.ridom.de/traceedit/
> What do you think of adding those two programs to main repository?

There is no chance at all to add non Open Source programms to the main
repository (please read our social contract[1] to learn why).  Please
also try to understand why not every program which has a publicly
available (=readable) source code is not considered "Free" as we define
freedom.

So if you are interested in those two programms the best idea to move
it foreward would be to convince the authors to release thair code as
Free Software.  In the mailing list archive of this month you can see
some examlpe e-mails you could copy and paste for the main text.  Just
keep the list in CC to let us stay informed about things.

Thanks for your interest in Debian Med.  Contacting the authors could be
your very personal contribution to make it even better because it saves
our time to do other packaging stuff and proves your real interest in
those programs.

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract