Re: MediSnap - GPLv3 medical photo system - just released

Hi Jan,

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 09:05:42PM +0100, Jan Kechel wrote:
> > packaging pool.  The latter is done usually by "sponsering" the package
> > by an official Debian Maintainer and I'm perfectly willing to do this
> > for you.
>
> Thats great!

That's simply ony of the main goals of Debian Med: Get mediacl Free
Software packaged into Debian and supporting others to help realising
this goal has turned out as quite effective.

> ok, got my alioth account: kechel-guest

Steffen has just added it to Debian Med while I was offline - it's just
cool to have a responsive team. :-)

> So the way to go would be to develop directly with alioth instead of
> sourceforge, or is alioth just meant to create packages out of releases,
> so e.g. push the source for a specific release and create the src and
> bin package ?

I had this discussion with another sponsee (I'm a tiny bit active also
in Debian Edu and wanted to sponsor one package there - the discussion
was on the debian-mentors list[1] because Debian Edu does not really
have a packaging team).  The principle is simple:  At first you download
an upstream tarball (usually of the latest upstream release - and you
told us here that there is such a release).  This will be renamed to

   <packagename>_<version>.orig.tar.gz

This archive will be untarred and than you create the debian/ directory
inside the root of the untarred files.  Please have a look at dh_make
which creates quite reasonable templates - most of them are not really
used in your case.  What we maintain in Debian is only the debian/ dir
including the patches which might be necessary (or not) to change the
upstream tarball.  I think it becomes clear if you check out some
examples of Debian Med SVN.

> .. so should i now just continue and create a subfolder on my local disk
> an start building up the directory-structure of a debian-package?
> I saw that each project just maintains it's own subdirectory-tree at the
> Debian Med repository, so i would create
> debian-med/trunk/packages/medisnap then?

Yes.  There you should commit

   debian-med/trunk/packages/medisnap/trunk/debian

[1] mails in the thread before and after might be interesting as well
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/01/msg00310.html