Re: Location for VistA common environment on Debian

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:03:59PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> When VistA is packaged and distributed, the package itself would be
> installed on the system, in some location, say /abc/def.  There may be
> clinics PQR and XYZ that each want to run their own instances of VistA.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly:  You do not intent to
maintain VistA installations for different clinics on the very same box,
right?  You are just proposing that different clinics might have a need
to use different installation pathes on their very onw box.

> The Question
>
> Where should the common VistA environment (/abc/def in the discussion
> above) be?  Looking at the Filename Hierarchy Standard
> (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html) it appears that it could
> go in:
>
> /usr/lib/VistA (/usr/lib is for programming and packages)

This is true for code which is not changed.  You should try to keep the
academical case in mind that /usr might be mounted readonly (for
instance for secutirty reasons).

Data which are subject to change (the actual database) needs to go to
/var most probably to /var/lib/VistA in our case.  If you want to
maintain different versions you should use

    /var/lib/VistA/<version>

As I suggested in a mail some weeks ago:  Having a look at the
postgresql packages in Debian and how they organise their stuff to
enable simple upgrades might be quite reasonable to copy the principles
of installation.

> /usr/local/VistA (/usr/local is for locally installed software)
> /opt/VistA (/opt is for add on application packages)

Debian packages do NOT use one of these directories.  This is not
compliant to Debian policy.  For sure local admins can do whatever
they need, but the packages should not touch these directories.