Re: Debian Med server available for Cloud Computing?

Stephen,

  Amazon Web Services provides small grants (as compute credit)
through their education and research programs:

     http://aws.amazon.com/education/

>From experience I have with our own work with Cloud BioLinux
(http://tinyurl.com/ycxuau2, http://tinyurl.com/kmdpuh) projects that
might not fit the funded categories exactly - like a linux distro -
still can be funded.

You basically need a very small amount (100$ or less) to create a VM
on amazon and maintain it for 3 or more years (their prices per GB per
month are very low).

Of course people that might want to run Debian Med apps on Amazon will
have to pay and rent compute time. But scientists  for example who
have research funds might not have a problem using Amazon, and wanting
to pay for having stable and scalable compute available.

Plus Amazon is widely known, so I think you get much more exposure of
the debian-med VM you's put up there. Of course you can still have a
server with Eucalyptus for people who don't have the funds to rent
compute from Amazon, and since the two cloud platforms have compatible
APIs, there's not a problem to port applications between the two.

If anyone is in Boston, MA area in July 7-8, we have a codefest around
those topics, and would love to meet fellow hackers:
http://open-bio.org/wiki/Codefest_2010

 best,

 Ntino