Re: User output (_not_ prompting) vs prompting in postinst scripts

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 01:33:50PM -0500, Misha Koshelev wrote:
> I started writing a nice long detailed email about this but realized
> my question was rather simple so I'll skip the details... (ok I lied
> they are below)
>
> I realize user _prompting_ in postinst must be done with debconf.
>
> What about user _output_?

You can also display a note via debconf and this makes probably sense in
openmrs.  If you ask me the config script is the more apropriate place.
Rationale:  The user will read this note in any case before he tries to
start working with the programm.  However if he installs a bunch of
packages together with openmrs it makes sense to be interupted (also a
note needs pressing <Enter>) only in the configure process to enable him
fetching a cup of coffee after the configure process is finished.  If he
comes back and realises a second interuption in the postinst and then
has to wait until everything else is finished before he can start
working this is not nice.

(I assume I should not yet upload the current openmrs package until this
question is solved, right?)