Re: ncbi-tools under Debian Med group maintenance?

Hi Aaron,

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 01:52:48PM -0400, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:

> This review ended up falling by the wayside for far longer than I
> intended, for which I must apologize; however, a new upstream release
> (more on that below) prompted me to revisit it over the weekend.  I've
> posted my final draft, complete with merge annotations and pristine-tar
> metadata,

Sounds good.

> at git://amu.scripts.mit.edu/ncbi-tools6.git (browsable via
> http://amu.scripts.mit.edu/gitweb.cgi?p=ncbi-tools6.git;a=summary ) in
> case anyone wishes to review it further before I upload an official
> version to Alioth (probably within a week, but not for at least a day or
> two).

IMHO there is no need for an extra staging git repository outside
Alioth.  If you simply use UNRELEASED as "target distribution" every
other member of the group knows that this packaging is unfinished and
subject of change.

> As for the new upstream release, I'm planning to upload it to
> experimental out of respect for the freeze; however, I'm tempted to ask
> the release team for a freeze exemption for a subsequent upload to
> unstable.  (The previous release was a year ago, and the main impact
> will be on other binary packages from the same source; there are a few
> others that depend on libncbi-tools6 or libvibrant6a, but not on
> portions that change at all rapidly.)  Any thoughts on the matter?

My (quite uneducated about NCBI tools) opinion is that a more recent
stable release than the more than a year old one would make perfectly
sense.  So asking for a freeze exceptions seems to make sense.