Forming society for biomedical research efficiency

Dear all,

my colleagues and I are founding a society to support technologies,
their description and their communication when these in some way
strengthen the efficiency of biomedical research. An emphasis shall be
on Open Source technologies as you know them from Debian (for instance
we have plenty of demand for additional functionality to be added to
GENtle that I had just uploaded to the NEW queue for the planning of
cloning experiments) but a collection of protocols for lab roboters
seems equally worthy to support. More important is maybe the human side
of things, when you observe colleagues with difficulties in using the
one or other program, then diverse ideas for summer schools immediately
come to mind. Debian packaging would also be eligible for funding, or
some common infrastructure like a biocloud environment in which members
don't pay for CPU time. But the core effort should really be to get all
our work out to the people, i.e. one would pay someone for all the work
that the good souls who crafted the original work were no longer
interested to do but that is perceived as a gap to get the software
across to the end user.

We want that society to be international, even though all seven founders
will be just from one floor as a start :)   Anybody interested in
joining in please tell me. And special ideas would be nice to learn
about, if they come real early then they may possibly influence the
formulation of the articles a bit.

Many greetings

Steffen