Re: Regarding a New Project idea for Debian Med

Le Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:56:52PM +0530, prakhar gaur a écrit :

> A few suggested methods to Optimize Performance:
>
>  1. Remove all the unnecessary packages(drivers) -- to make booting fast, to
>     reduce size of the OS
>  2. File System -- like btrfs
>  3. A more efficient Kernel scheduler
>  4. Memory Management   eg. Bigmem
>  5. More aggressive package compilation

Dear Prakhar,

thanks for telling us about your project.

The Debian Med project is built on the Debian Pure Blends concept, which brings
together unmodified packages through a set of metapackages, that are generated
from the same material as some of our web documents (our ‘web sentinels’, see
http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/index).

For the moment, the Debian Med blend is installed at a step where things like
file systems have been already decided: basically, the Debian installer is not
aware of Debian blends. Such development would be very interesting, but it is a
major piece of work that requres time and skills that are missing.

All in all, it seems that the route you are taking is to make a Debian
derivative (at least since you plan to change package compilation options) in
which you would install the Debian Med metapackages. Do not hesitate to comment
on the contents of our metapackages. In particular, we are considering
splitting the med-bio package into two, one with graphical programs that will
depend on X and the other with command line applications.

Everything that reduces the delta between Debian and a derivative is a win for
both of them. If you find that some compilation options allowed by the Debian
Policy make a visible difference compared to the default (-O2 in particular),
please let us know for the packages that we maintain, and we will be please to
change them. If you make some translations, you can also forward them to the
corresponding localisation team.

Lastly, if you package software that are relevant to Debian, you are most
welcome to maintain them in Debian itself, in our packaging group when the
topic of the software is relevant to us. We can guide you on how to make
packages that conform to Debian's quality standards.

Have a nice day, and all the best for your project.

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team