Re: Gnumed installation

Hi all,

Summary for the Debian-med group:
Someone reported a problem installing gnumed-server on Ubuntu. Before you say
this is Debian and not Ubuntu let me tell you that I believe it affects Debian
as well. The error that is encountered by the Ubuntu user is

>> chgrp: invalid group: 'gnumed'
>> dpkg: error processing gnumed-server (--configure):
>>   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status

It does not seem to happen when a user installs gnumed-client prior to gnumed-
server. That made me thinking.

Recently the package gnumed-server droped the dependency gnumed-common. The
package gnumed-client still has this dependency.

addgroup gnumed seems to solve the problem so I was thinking the gnumed-client
does something gnumed-server does not. Looking at the postinst script it seems
there is some magic with regards to groups going on.

So my guess is that since gnumed-common was droped as a dependency this is not
done for the server anymore.

Would anyone care to explain what is done in the postinst script of gnumed-
common and if my analysis is correct fix this for gnumed-server ?

Any help is appreciated. I know that Andreas is on vacation but maybe someone
has time to look at it and maybe fix it.

Thanks,
Sebastian