Howto prevent viral dependency propagation by ITK or GDCM?

Hi,

I working on packaging ITK-SNAP (http://www.itksnap.org). This software
is GPL licensed. It is based on ITK, and ITK itself is linked or
includes any known library on this planet.

It happens that ITK (and GDCM) also links against OpenSSL -- meaning no
matter what I do, I get a GPL-licensed binary linked against OpenSSL
-- which is unless you put a special exemption -- a license violation.

  http://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

This is somewhat crazy, because ITK-SNAP does not seem to be using a
single symbol from OpenSSL. But first of all cmake does a nice job
collecting all the "LIB_DEPENDS" and links the binary against everything
its dependencies have been linked against -- whatever that is good for...

But even if I manually remove all traces of OpenSSL from the build
process I end up with this:

michael@meiner ~/debian/itk-snap/git/build (git)-[debian] % ldd InsightSNAP
        libssl.so.0.9.8 => /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.8 (0xb53c4000)
        libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (0xb526c000)

And this happens although there is no -lssl or -lcrypto anywhere during
the ITK-SNAP build. Nevertheless, I get a linitan error pointing to the
license violation.

What can I do?

I thought '-Wl,--as-needed' would fix it, but it doesn't.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

--