Debian Med server available for Cloud Computing?

Dear all,

I am aware of at least two efforts to prepare images for the Amazon
services to help the bioinformatics community. And I wish us to be at
the front here. From the packaging aspect we are, but we have no
(project-)funds to pay for the storage of the Image at Amazon for
instance. In a way this may be fortunate, since this opens our eyes for
alternatives.

The alternative I see is to prepare an Eucalyptus server (see
http://www.eucalyptus.org) and run it ourselves. We would then invite
the various efforts to use that rather than Amazon's services to develop
the reference bioinformatics image - well, we all know that it won't be
a single big image but rather a collection of images. That site may then
become a major source for the practical exchange of concepts for dealing
with the packages we prepared.

There was a notion to have a server for Debian Med when we did not have
a use for it. Does that offer still hold? Would the machine be
sufficiently big to accommodate for the demands that several parallel
run instances would have (say 8 GB main memory, 200GB disk (we also want
some data, right))? Or are here some philanthropic readers on this list
to help out?

I cannot tell exactly where we will end up with this effort. I could for
instance well imagine that we will acquire more such servers over time
at different institutes to develop some mixture between a clouds and a
grid. We'll see.

Many thanks and regards,

Steffen