Re: Howto package a eclipse-RCP application for Debian?

Egon Willighagen wrote:
> Dear Niels,

Hey,

(I have re-arranged the message a bit)

Egon Willighagen wrote:
> Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>> If it relies on OSGi metadata (e.g. Require-Bundle/Import-Package in the
>> Manifest) to find database adapters, you will probably need to patch the
>> adapter-jars in Debian.
>
> Where can I find information on what exactly defines a 'database
> adapter' (you're not referring to e.g. the MySQL driver, are you?),
> and a adapter-jar?

I am not sure at all what upstream means (particularly because I cannot
remember whether the sql implementations are referred to as "drivers" or
"adapters").

Egon Willighagen wrote:
> Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>> This has been one of the most time-consuming
>> tasks with getting eclipse done - hardly any of eclipse's dependencies
>> had OSGi metadata.
>
> So, metadata must be injected into the third party libs too? So, for
> the elixis example, into the ch.rgw.utility jar too?

Short answer: yes (assuming it does not have it already or the plugin
magically finds it through other means - the latter is rare and tends to
involve hard-coding)

Long answer: for every "Require-Bundle" you need a "Bundle-SymbolicName"
that matches (exactly) and for every "Import-Package" you must have the
appropriate "Export-Package". Anything short of that and eclipse will
refuse to load the plugin due to "unresolved dependencies".

On a related note: "jar umf <man> <jar>" is all you need to inject OSGi
metadata into a jar - which means that a debian jar can be updated
without having to patch upstream's build system (e.g. for projects with
auto-generated manifests).

Egon Willighagen wrote:
> [...]
>
> Interesting thread... I am a long time Debian user (now mostly
> indirectly via Ubuntu) and contributed small patches here and there in
> the past... I have unfortunately little time for packaging nowadays,
> as my Open Source work (CDK.sf.net, Bioclipse.net mostly) is eating up
> all my time.
>
> Now, Bioclipse is an RCP application too, so this thread has my strong
> interest, as at least I like to learn what would need to be done to
> get Bioclipse packaged...
>
> <snip>

We would need to package all of its dependencies, so a list of
bioclipse's dependencies would be nice. Bonus if you go further and
generate a dependency tree.

If it depends on "non-eclipse plugins", these need to be checked for
OSGi metadata. If the given dependency is already packaged, the metadata
can be added with a trivial patch - otherwise, consider filing an RFP on
it and note that you need the metadata (preferably including the
metadata needed).

Also, for packed "non-eclipse plugins", making a map between the jar
name used in the eclipse environment and the name Debian uses for
installing is also appreciated. See [1] for an example.

Help us find/generate the source tarballs for bioeclipse and its
dependencies (this may include teaching upstream how to use "tags" in
their VCS).

> Thanx,
>
> Egon

~Niels

[1] The mapping used for eclipse - left hand-side is the eclipse name
(using wildcard expansion) and the right hand side is the Debian jar.

http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/eclipse.git;a=blob;f=system-jars.csv