Subject: Re: Metaproject: Debian Med tasks
From: Holger Schmuhl <holger.schmuhl@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:02:40 +0100
To: Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
X-Spam_score: -2.9

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your mail and sorry for the long wait ...

On 23.01.2010, at 08:57, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hello,
> I stumbled again about apfelkraut.org which is a nice effort. I think we formerly mentioned the Debian Med project because you are linking to our web page.
Thank you :-) Yes, I used also your task list to initially crosscheck if I have missed any medical FOSS projects for 'my' compilation and dropped by from time to time to see if there were any changes.

Great, I added the link to the Linux Distributions category (http://www.apfelkraut.org/freemedsw/#LinuxDistros) and to the Further Sources section (http://www.apfelkraut.org/freemedsw/#FurtherSources).

> It would be great if you would have a look to the link I gave above and tell us, what you think, if it is helpful for you or whether you have hints for enhancements.
What I like is:

+ it is really helpful, assuming that I am someone looking for a software within a certain field of application and wanting to know it there is an easy way to get it up and running

+ that you list pure FOSS, you do not have any projects that are shareware or other pseudo free closed source stuff, but I suppose that is in general a characteristic of Debian. The Wikipedia Medical FOSS lists gets sometimes really flooded with somehow free but non-open source projects ... and searching in SourceForge is a bit exhausting, as there are already too many ...

+ additional parameters that are listed per project, absolutely useful ... especially: license type, if it is already available as official .deb and if so which version,  path to code repository, responsible person etc.

+ the screenshots are good for a first impression, especially for those that do not want to read all the documentation

- 'popcon' is the "Debian Popularity Contest" (I looked it up because I did not know it), I would add for Non-Debians maybe a better label, so to be able to understand it at once, like just 'Popularity' ...

- maybe to list the client type per project (mainly "web-based" vs. "native") could also be a valuable info for the user

In general I have quite some ideas about how to enhance my list (if I would have the time beside my 'normal' job ;-) ) ... maybe this could be also interesting for the Debian-Med task list or some joined efforts (?):

- move my content to a real DB and dynamic web pages, no flat HTML file anymore ...

- add a tagging feature: there are meanwhile many projects that are hard to put in a single category. Some have features of an EMR, a PACS, a LIS and/or even a hospital management system ... so where to put them and how can somebody find it who is looking for at least two features in one system.

- with the use of tags, one could offer a similar functionality like http://alternativeto.net/, you know this one? Just give an application name and it will give you a list of similar projects. In case you want to fight with commercial/proprietary software vendors (like my current employer) you could even add their systems to such a DB. Let's say I am the CIO of a hospital and want to replace my system XY, I can give the name and can find FOSS projects with similar functionality there.

- give a project specific link where users can get support (leading to the official user/project forum)

- available interfaces to other FOSS projects

- list if the project is already available via the official package repository of the distribution of my choice. Beside Debian there are also packaging efforts within OpenSUSE and Fedora, although they are just at the beginning ...

- give project specific activity information: last update, frequency of releases ... is the project still alive?

- list of reference sites or at least publications that tell something about practical experiences with the project

- stretch goal: list companies that offer professional support for it

So far ... Schöne Grüße aus München,

Holger

www.apfelkraut.org

----- End forwarded message -----