Re: Status of BioRuby

On Oct 3, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
after about three monthes I wanted to ping Ruby packagers if we might
expect some help to update BioRuby package or whether we should give it
a try in the Debian Med team.

Hello,
    I am not a Ruby packager nor any kind of an active member of the
Debian Med team.  I just looked briefly  at  BioRuby a few minutes
ago after reading your message.   I am a retired clinician and not
a biology lab researcher.  I have done some translating from Perl to
Ruby and maybe I could just be a helper?  With the Detroit area
economy at a low point, our graduate school is kind of small right
now and I don't think I have near enough to adopt BioRuby as a
class project.

    Here are 2 works in progress:
A translation of the Perl in a new bioinformatics book by St. Clair and Visick.
http://medicalopensource.net/mcs/rubyperl.html
A translation of the Perl from the NCBI Entrez utilities to Ruby and Ruby on
Rails
http://medicalopensource.net/mcs5613/recap.html#L04

Regards,

Jay MIller