Re: Live CD

Hello,

Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 07:51:13PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
>> I have just prepared a bootable USB stick with
>
> You "just prepared", but the files in SVN
> (community/infrastructure/livecd) are dated from November last year.
> Would you mind commiting your work?

now that I learned more, I perceive more needs for discussing about what
exactly we want. There won't be a single live CD but rather many different
flavours - with or without KDE workspace for instance.

>> Science-chemistry is somewhat funny, for instance I certainly do not want
>
> What about rather piching from DebiChem:
>
>    http://blends.alioth.debian.org/debichem/tasks/
>
> You might be able to get a more fine grained selection.

Interesting. How can one script a packages selection from that page?

>> My learning curve over the past two days I have documented here:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/LiveCD
>
> That's great.

And it is only a few lines of code that prepare the whole image.

>> Should someone on this list already have experience with a pxelinux setup, then
>> I would very much prefer being the proof-reader of a description rather than
>> the first author :)
>
> I do not personally have experience with PXE but I know that Debian Edu
> people relay heavily on it.  They have a quite active IRC channel.

Many thanks for that pointer. So far I only found instructions to using PXE for
installing Debian locally. The challenge in my view is to have the root also on
the net, much like described here http://www.digitalpeer.com/id/linuxnfs . I
think I'll just go buy some more USB sticks for now ...

Cheers,

Steffen